Friday, June 19, 2015

A Brief Few Words on the Confederate Flag

Here's a bit of a rant because I have a lot of painting to do and am not getting stuck in a negative head-space. I spent most of my morning in a heated debate with a few people over their desire to fly the confederate flag without consequence or judgment.

When a symbol has been consistently stained with the blood of an oppressed people and tainted by hatred, it is time to retire it. The topic at hand is, of course the confederate flag, but my sentiment is not limited to this filthy rag.
When you choose to attempt to wipe that blood off of it and reclaim that symbol of your heritage (or maybe it just "looks cool") it sends (maybe unintentionally, but real all the same) a message of indifference and self-importance to people who have to carry a very deep and true fear and suffering in their hearts.
So to quote fairy tale book I once read (Alice in Wonderland, I think it was.) "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."


Don't be an asshole.

2 comments:

Michael Martin said...

As an English man and a lover of so many things American may I just say "Hear hear!" A thoughtful and loving post - thanks. And thanks for you paintings too. I am finding hard to do mine just now. Head space and all!
Michael

John Gascot said...

Thank you for your comment, Michael. One of the funny things about blogs is that, while I continue to post regularly, I sometimes forget that there are people out there who might really be reading and following what I do. It's a great feeling.
I know all about the head space, but I know you will break through it. Your art work is fantastic. :-)