Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Feliz Dia de los Reyes!

As a child, in Puerto Rico, I had the best of both worlds when it came to holiday traditions (and gift-getting!). Being the son of an "Americana" I got to celebrate Christmas and get goodies from Santa. Then, on January 6, I'd get more gifts for Dia de los Reyes Magos (Three Kings' Day). Usually 3 more gifts, to be exact (one for each King).


Illustration by Aruye

I remember going out and clipping grass from the yard to put into an empty shoe box, which I would carefully then slide under my bed. The grass was for the Kings' camels. During the night the Kings would come, the camels would "eat" the grass and leave toys in the box under your bed. An oddball combination of Cookies for Santa and the Tooth Fairy if you will. LOL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great painting, great story! I never knew that.