Thursday, April 5, 2012

In & OUT of the Studio

Yesterday started out a bit grey and gloomy but by the afternoon the sun was shining and calling me to paint outdoors. I began working on my "1 in 10" piece for our upcoming 4 Equality: A Show of Pride exhibit (more on that soon, stay tuned!).
This piece is based on the common approximation that 1 in 10 people are gay. I thought it might be interesting if I counted from one to ten over and over again, replacing a random number with a positive word or quality each time. For example: 1, 2, 3, 4, amazing, 6, 7, 8, 10...1, 2, inspiring, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...and so on. I wanted to do more than write the words on the canvas so I decided to cut silhouette stencils of people from various walks of life. 1 out of every 10 will be pink, a color of great LGBT historic significance.





No comments: