Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fierce Friday on a Wednesday: R.I.P. Liz Taylor

I did not grow up watching Elizabeth Taylor films. It was not until high school, when I became active in theater , that I first watched "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?" It, of course, left an undying impression on me and remains, to this very day, one of my favorite films ever. Shortly after that, I became to familiarize and fall in love with her impressive body of work.



There has always been a soft spot in my heart for Ms. Taylor. Her great acting and persona aside (not to mention her generous dedication to the fight against HIV/AIDS), she has always reminded me of my mother (or the other way around). Not to say that my mother was a dead ringer for Liz, but she was that "type" of beauty. People often told her so and this comparison endeared me to the movie star.



As a dear friend of mine mentioned earlier today, she was one of the last true movie stars. They simply don't make them like Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor anymore. She perfectly balanced talent, glamor, sex appeal, kindness, compassion and yes, even scandal. She was a gutsy and flawed; as intriguing off as she was on screen. Young Hollywood could take a lesson or two, perhaps an entire course from her.



Today, Ms. Taylor, I do not mourn you.
I celebrate you!
Rest in peace, you beautiful goddess.

No comments: