Last night I made Arroz con Pollo. It's really very easy for anyone to achieve authentic Latin taste with this dish. I make it exactly as my mother taught me.
ARROZ CON POLLO
I recommend cooking this in a Caldero. It makes a difference.
If you don't have a Latin grocer near you, you can get them online or...I actually got mine from Kmart (Martha Stewart makes 'em...go figure )
-6 boneless/skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces (you may also use drumsticks/boneless breast/wings cooking)
-1 can beer of choice
-1 cup water
-1/4 cup Goya Recaito
-Dried Oregano (4 shakes)
-1 packet Goya Sason (with culantro and achiote)
-1 packet Goya chicken bullion (or a cube)
-1/4 cup tomato sauce
-6 (or more) olives
-2 ½ cups long grain rice
-1/2 cup frozen green peas
1) Season chicken well in Adobo (to taste) and Cumin (3-4 shakes, don’t go crazy).
2) Brown chicken over med-high heat in Caldero and add ingredients in B.
3) Cook covered on medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
4) Add rice (C) and stir.
5) Cook over medium heat un-covered until bubbling or rice is visible (about another 5-7 minutes). Careful not to let it dry out. Stir.
6) Cook 20 minutes, once again covered, until water is absorbed and rice is cooked. Add peas (D) over rice during the last 5 minutes. Fluff (mixing peas into the rice) before serving.
Serves about 3-4 normal humans or 2 hungry men (with a bit leftover for lunch).