Friday, August 8, 2008

Does God Care...???

About street names?

More and more I find myself turning to religion...


When I need a good laugh, that is!
Religion is always there when comedy fails me.

Here's some lame news from this past week:

Church wants "Gay Boulevard" name changed
03:59 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 6, 2008
KHOU.com staff report

SAN ANTONIO, TexasWhat’s in a name? A lot if your church sits on Gay Boulevard.
That’s the case for Second Baptist Church in San Antonio.
Officials there want the name changed.
In order to do that, the church will pay a $500 application fee to the city to change the name and pay for about $800 worth of new street signs.
“First of all, Gay Street, that’s not a proper name because I’m, anti-gay,” said someone with the church.
“We get opposition, it’s the people that have an address on the street who have to change stationery or information they have. But there are no residents with the address of gay street right now, so that’s not an issue,” said Roderick Sanchez who is the Director of Development Services.

Church officials say this is not all about sexual preference.
They say that their facility has been in the neighborhood for 120 years and plans to open a community center down the road.
A city park nearby already bears the church’s name.
They want the street changed to Second Baptist Way.

The San Antonio City Council will vote on the name change proposal Thursday.


In a perfect world (ok ok, in MY perfect world) the city council would allow them to change the name...



But give them only Butt Pirate Boulevard and Fudge Packer Way to choose from.

PS. There's $1300 to a needy family or worthwhile charity will never see.

4 comments:

CJ said...

Ahh, two very good alternative names. I really like Butt Pirate Boulevard although Lesbo Lane is calling to me as well.

Thanks for sharing this story. The Religious Right, which is neither by the way, never ceaes to amaze me.

Candace said...

BWAHAHA. Thanks, John, I needed that laugh. Found you thru Judy Wise's sight and have to tell you, I do love your perspectives and your ART. Vixen, yummmy

Candace

John G. said...

AHHH yes, Lesbo Lane is lovely too.
Perhaps we could have BOTH at an intersection!

John G. said...

Candace:
Thank you and Welcome to my little blog! I'm glad you were able to get a well-needed laugh here.
That really makes me happy. :-)